Take a glimpse at Falvey's past
Falvey Memorial Library is pleased to present "Villanova’s Library: Revisiting its Past, Envisioning its Future," which takes a closer look at the history of Villanova University's library.
Featuring materials gathered from the University Archives, Special Collections and items generously lent by the Falvey staff, this exhibition looks at the University library from the 1880s to the present.
The entire exhibition can be viewed on the second floor of the Library until September 15, 2006. Created by Teri Ann Incrovato, Special Collections and cataloging assistant, the exhibit is sponsored by Special Collections and the University Archives. Bente Polites, Special Collections librarian, and Rev. Dennis Gallagher, OSA, University archivist, assisted with the exhibit.
This receipt, made out to Rev. Thomas C. Middleton, OSA, Villanova's first librarian, itemizes some of the earliest book purchases by Villanova College. Travels in Central America, which cost $1.50, has become part of Falvey's Special Collections.
The full-page newspaper article, published in The Suburban and Wayne Times (Pa.) on February 13, 1953, shows views of Old Falvey shortly after its completion. Once the University library, Old Falvey now serves as an annex to the library building and houses a variety of offices and programs.
This development campaign pamphlet was used to help raise funds for the 1968 library addition, the building we occupy today, known as Falvey Memorial Library.
Text and graphics by Teri Ann Incrovato